At the Depot
In 1998, the City of Tucson purchased the former Southern Pacific
Railroad Depot on Toole Avenue downtown. Restoration of the main depot
building and the three adjacent buildings to their 1941 architectural
style was completed in 2004.
Prior to restoration, the City, in conjunction with a Citizen's
Intermodal Task Force, created a Master Plan to guide their efforts.
That plan called for devoting the former Records Building on the depot
site to a transportation museum. The first of the three outlying
buildings on the depot site, the Records building was built in three
stages (1907, 1910, 1922), the latest stage completing the building as
we see it today.
A management committee was formed in 2001 to complete the task of
establishing the museum. The museum is now a division of Old Pueblo
Trolley, Inc which was founded in 1983. By 2003, as well as completing
a formal study, the museum was awarded a variety of grants and private
donations that funded the museum exhibits. On March 20th, 2005, the
125th Anniversary of the Arrival of the Railroad in Tucson, the museum
was dedicated with the help of Mayor Bob Walkup.
The museum needs community support to
continue to preserve and interpret Southern Arizona railroad heritage
through the museum's educational outreach, oral history and archival
The Depot |
Visit Us |
What's New |
Support | Gift Shop |
Friends at the Depot |