Meetings begin in
January 1991 to organize the locomotive's restoration effort. On January
9, 1992, Locomotive #1673 is listed on the National Register of Historic
Places. Two months later, a task force is appointed by Tucson's Mayor
and Council to commence restoration of the engine and plan to move it from
Himmel Park. In April of that year, regular meetings and volunteer
work sessions begin.
A crane lifts part of the tender
from the frame.